Monday, March 3, 2008

Song Analysis Critique

The song I critiqued was the "Boxer" by Simon and Garfunkel. The writer of this analysis seemed to have alot of knowledge on the background of the song. She found it necessary to provide historical facts to explain why this song was written. She analyzes in detail the events that took place in the time of the war and links it to the lyrics of the song. I like how she writes in detail every aspect that can provide her analysis with support. She even uses family related thoughts and events. She chooses certain quotes and interprets them to the best of her ability. She emphasizes the author's tone setting the mood for the song. She links the feelings and emotions accurately in the song with accordance to the events taking place. One weak point is that she relied too much on historical context rather than the artist's point of view or why he chose the words he chose. Overall it was a fantastic analysis. I will give her an A.

No comments: